As Spring official starts, it's time to get back out into your gardens and start planting all those seeds you picked up at Seedy Saturday.
MarketSafe Food Safety Training
MarketSafe is a food safety training program for farmers and producers who make, bake or grow products to sell at local farmers' markets, farm gates or other types of temporary food markets. The course is on Wednesday, April 3 at St. Mary's Hospital (Boardroom) from 9:30am- 4pm.
Class size is capped at 25 (min. class size is 10). This course is only open to Sunshine Coast residents. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required. Call 604-885-5164. Payment can be taken on the phone or in-person. Pre-paid cost $35; payable to VCH; includes a book. Just bring a pen.
Sunshine Coast Fruit Tree Project
The Sunshine Coast Fruit Tree Project (SCFTP) is a community based initiative that works to build community and strengthen food security using local fruit. Our idea is simple: we connect people with excess fruit on their backyard trees with those who have the time and energy to harvest it.
We are looking for someone who will coordinate volunteers, manage the Fruit Tree Project's day-to-day operations, and outreach to our community partners, tree owners, and donors.
The successful volunteer candidate will be an energetic self-starter who has good organizational abilities. This person possesses a strong awareness of food security issues, has horticultural knowledge, and is familiar with the Sunshine Coast non-profit community. We are looking for someone who can wear many hats with ease: community mobiliser, volunteer coordinator, facilitator, problem fixer, and occasional fruit tree harvester.
We have limited funding for the project but can offer a small honorarium to cover expenses.
▪ Coordinate the volunteer program, including volunteer recruitment and training
▪ Coordinate fruit harvesting and fruit distribution
▪ Build relationships with community organizations such as community kitchens, food banks, and the Breakfast for Kids program
▪ Recruit and liaise with fruit tree owners, and organizations.
▪ Assist in preparing funding proposals and reports
▪ Raise public profile of the Fruit Tree Project through media, events and community outreach.
The successful Volunteer ideally has demonstrated experience in:
▪ Volunteer management
▪ Program coordination in the non-profit sector
▪ Community development at the grassroots level
▪ Strategic and communications planning
S/he also has outstanding skills and qualifications, including:
▪ Superior organizational skills
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills
▪ Experience with facilitation and collective decision making
▪ An ability to work independently
▪ A high level of energy and motivation
▪ Valid driver's license
▪ Access to a home office, internet, email & MS Office savvy
▪ Access to a vehicle
This position runs from mid-June to October Please email a cover letter and resume by 9pm April 30th
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mar 20 -Farm Gate Market
Mar 27 -Farm Gate Market
Mar 28 -Green Drinks Featured topic: World Water Day! Marina from the Sunshine Coast Regional District will be giving a presentation
April 3 - Farm Gate moves outside! Come join the fun.